Home offices need space of their own. Plan space that is only for running your business. It will help with organization and the tax folks will be happier too.
To design your home office:
- Itemize all the tasks you need to do to run your business
- Draw up a work flow for the most efficient way to accomplish those tasks.
- Identify space within your home that would accommodate your business.
- Look at the equipment and furniture needs of your business.
- Check to make certain you have adequate electrical and telephone outlets for your equipment.
- Layout how your equipment and furniture will go in the space, considering efficient work flow.
- Make certain the lighting is sufficient for your work needs.
- Plan storage of records and supplies into the office arrangement.
- The ergonomics of your work environment is critical. Choose furniture and equipment are comfortable to avoid work fatigue and injury.
- Take the time to add some comfort features. This should be a pleasant environment.
- If at all possible, plan flexibility into the space with movable equipment and desks and adjustable shelving.
- Place noisy equipment away from work areas that need quiet, if at all possible.
- Making the work space an enjoyable place will pay off many times in productivity and positive attitude towards work.