Before investing in a particular franchise system, carefully consider how much money you have to invest, your abilities, and your goals. The following checklist may help you make your decision.
- How much money do you have to invest?
- How much money can you afford to lose?
- Will you purchase the franchise by yourself or with partners?
- Will you need financing and, if so, where can you obtain it?
- Do you have a favorable credit rating?
- Do you have savings or additional income to live on while starting your franchise?
- Does the franchise require technical experience or relevant education, such as auto repair, home and office decorating, or tax preparation?
- What skills do you have? Do you have computer, bookkeeping, or other technical skills?
- What specialized knowledge or talents can you bring to a business?
- Have you ever owned or managed a business?
- What are your goals?
- Do you require a specific level of annual income?
- Are you interested in pursuing a particular field?
- Are you interested in retail sales or performing a service?
- How many hours are you willing to work?
- Do you want to operate the business yourself or hire a manager?
- Will franchise ownership be your primary source of income or will it supplement your current income?
- Would you be happy operating the business for the next 20 years?
- Would you like to own several outlets or only one?
Learn more about:
Need a Small Business Loan? Find one here!
Looking to buy a franchise? Click here!
Components of a Typical Franchise System
Selecting a Franchise
Shopping at a Franchise Exposition
Investigating Franchise Offerings
Additional Sources of Information
Information courtesy of the Federal Trade Commission.
Back to Franchises